Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"just get a hobby"

I just finished watching Julie & Julia and it brought up a problem I've been having for a while now... what to do!?? I've noticed this seems to be a problem that many wives have. Whether they have jobs, children or neither there still seems to be a struggle when it comes to finding something that you enjoy doing, something that you love and something that you would enjoy doing everyday... just for yourself. And the funny thing is, I've never once found a man or husband with the same problem. If anything they always have TOO MANY hobbies and either can't find the time for all of them or can't afford them. So why is this? Are men programmed to always be busy with something? Are they the more selfish gender and while the women are too busy taking care of everyone else to think about what they want or would enjoy the men are off exploring everything and finding hobby after hobby? Or is it something else? Can it be that us WOMEN can actually learn something from men? Actually take some time for ourselves and try to find something we enjoy? But why is it that typical hobbies for men are things like working on cars, playing sports, fishing or playing video games (please notice I used the word "playing" twice). And for women it's usually things like cooking, sewing, knitting or crafts? I've always considered myself to be a pretty creative person but none of those things I just listed really appeal to me. And I've tried some of them. I do enjoy writing but to be honest it's hard to find things to write about when your day consists of working out, changing diapers, giving baths and folding laundry. So once again the phrase appears, "just get a hobby."
So now I need a hobby to help with my other hobby! And another thing is money... hobbies can get expensive!! Especially the ones I listed for men! What's up with that!? They should give hobby discounts at the store or something. Like if you bring old receipts with you to the store to prove it's really a hobby for you and you are passionate about it you get 25% off all merchandise related to it. I can think of a few people who would benefit from that.
So I guess I'll just continue on my search for my new hobby and maybe one day I'll find one and then I'll sit here writing blogs about how wonderful it is and how much it fulfills me and I'll be one of THEM. You know the ones who look at you with confusion all over their face when you tell them you're bored and then they reach over to comfort you and say those awe inspiring words..."just get a hobby."

3 comments:

  1. This is so true!! I have things I like but theres never something that I'm sooo into that someone would say "Oh she's really into _____". Hopefully we'll find a hobby eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the love you have for taking pictures and watching your baby grow do you think you might like scrap booking? You could start from the very first pictures of you and Matt started dating to your wedding to being pregnant and having the baby and so on and so on. If that sounds like something you might enjoy tell me. I probably have a 10 year supply of stickers and albums and so on and so forth... I fell in love with jewelry design so all my scrap booking stuff is just collecting dust. I'd be happy to send you a bunch of it. Let me know. Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, it seems to be that the hobbies you list for men require more muscle then brains and the ones for women require more brains, i.e. creativity. I wouldn't dismiss those hobbies so quickly. You've always been a creatibe person so keep that in mind when finding a hobby. I think the reason you are bored is becuase you need something to do with your brain. You are very busy all of the time (I know first hand) so that isn't the problem. I think you need to be challenged more mentally. I don't think the XBOX will do that ;)

    So my idea? Photography. It requires a brain, creativity and you have alot of what you need to get started, plus you've shown a talent for it. I am wondrirng if you could get a book on it to start with. Yuo have the perfect subject in Cynthia and the dogs. Plus you'll only be in Japan for a little while longer so why not capture some of the memories of how beautiful that place is. And with Christmas coming this is the prefect time to ask for some accesories that you might need like a tripod, instruction books, flash, lenses, filters, etc.. See it is like a guys hobby; it can get expensive too! It doesn't have to though. There is so much to learn and so many ways to express yourself creatively. And all you need is your D40 and to fire up your PC. I can help you with some software to organize and edit photos too.

    Hopefully this idea helps. Great job writing too.

    ReplyDelete