Monday, August 24, 2009

babysitting

I hate babysitting. I don't often share this about myself because I don't want to come off mean or uncaring... but I really do hate it.
My sisters are 9 years older than me so there were many instances in my childhood where I was volunteered to babysit for their friends. And the kids I watched were always brats who never listened to me or they ended up throwing up or climbing trees and falling... something bad always seemed to happen.
My Mom used to volunteer me to babysit also. I specifically remember her volunteering me to babysit a neighbor's kid one night. He was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old and his parents left him grapes to eat as a snack. I sat him on the kitchen counter to eat the grapes and he started choking on one! Thank God after I hit his back a couple times he swallowed it but then he started crying and I was so frazzled I swore never to feed a kid grapes again and made sure to learn the Heimlich maneuver!
So after years of being scared by traumatizing babysitting experiences I now hate it! Yes, even now after I have a daughter and I'm more comfortable around babies I still have no desire to take care of another person's child. And I actually feel guilty about it. I understand there are mothers out there who could use the help... I'm one of them! LOL I guess that's why I never ask people to watch Cynthia. Because if I did I would automatically be indebted to them and have to babysit their kid. Don't get me wrong... this doesn't mean I hate kids. I have no problem with them as long as someone else is taking care of them.
But when someone asks you to watch their child or babysit how do you say no unless you already have plans or just cannot do it? How do you say "No, I'd rather not" without sounding completely bitchy (pardon my "French")?? That is one thing I'm still trying to figure out. And does this give me bad karma?? Will I really need a babysitter one day and not be able to find one because I refuse to babysit for other people? It seems kind of fair to me actually... I'll just have to make sure and register Cynthia with a daycare every time I move or have family close by. Oh and that's one exception... I have no problem watching my niece and nephews. I never have... what's up with that? It must be because they are family and I have more of an emotional connection with them. I've never really been a kid/baby person anyway. I've never been one to ask to hold babies or even have much patience when it comes to kids. I guess it's just not my thing.
I hope my friends don't read this and think I'm secretly repulsed by their babies or something because that's not the case. Motherhood has definitely given me a new found appreciation for a baby's smile and innocence.... just don't ask me to babysit!

2 comments:

  1. I will watch Cynthia for you anytime you want! And you don't have to feel obligated to watch my baby when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go anywhere you are to babysit that amazing little girl. I can try to get a daycare license so you can register her with me. Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete